02 November, 2004

"Hold me closer, tiny dancer."

This morning, while in the bigger Paranoid Mobile, one of the local radio stations had on Elton John's tune "Tiny Dancer".

I like this song, and always have, but every time I hear it, I think of a try for freedom. The reason I do this is that when I was a kid, there was a television show on CBS called WKRP in Cincinnati.

In one very memorable episode, a Soviet (Russian for you kids today) named Ivan (as they all were) was hoping to defect. Andy and Bailey tried to help him, but to no avail. At the end of the episode, when Ivan knew he was cornered and had no hope of escaping, he told Les Nessman:

"Hold me closer, tiny dancer."

Nearly immediately after this, he had to leave with the Commie Bastard Hog Committee. However, for me, that one scene showed that Man, no matter his current circumstances, will always strive for freedom, even if he has to hide it from others...

--WP

No comments: