23 December, 2005

"i HEART communism"

I was at a Hastings Book store this afternoon making some Christmas purchases when, after paying, I moved to the counter, right next to the exit, in front of the popcorn machine. I set my bags down, and turned to face the people behind me still in line so that they were not at my back while I was putting my sunglasses on.

In the middle lane was a large, young male, about twenty-four, roughly 6'4" and he had to weigh about 320 pounds. He was unshaven, his hair dark, tightly curly and scraggy, but back in a long ponytail with multiple red rubber bands. His attire was just as natty- denim shorts and a T-shirt that garnered the most attention- it was a bright red, originally. Now it was faded and had some cartoon character on it, but the words said it all:

"i HEART (the stupid little symbol) communism."

I slowly looked him up and down, and as he caught me doing so- it was then that I told him out loud from ten feet away, "Really? I NEVER did!"

His mouth came open and he started to mumble something so I told him Merry Christmas, paused long enough for him to say something, and then walked out. As I was leaving I noticed he was turning a bit red himself, particularly when everyone turned to examine him.

I had said my say...

--WP

No comments: