28 September, 2004

I am sick and tired of this crap.

Fears of national ID with driver's licenses
Critics see Republican anti-terrorism bill as back-door step toward identity cards

"The House Republican leadership's new bill to restructure the nation's intelligence bureaucracy would turn driver's licenses issued by the 50 states into a de facto national ID card, say privacy activists.

The House bill, set for committee markups this week, is expected to be merged with a Senate version and voted on before the Nov. 2 election.

But among the little-known provisions of the "9/11 Recommendations Implementation Act" are new requirements for state driver's licenses that have very little to do with driving, say critics.

According to the legislation, within three years of its enactment, no federal agency may accept for any official purpose a driver's license or identification card issued by a state that does not require applicants to provide Social Security number and facial imaging capture.

Washington would also require all states to share digital data acquired in the process of licensing to other states.

A blogger site committed to fighting a national ID calls the plan a "backdoor creation of a National ID" that "has been the in the works for a few years now, even prior to events of September 11."


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Father fought in WWII; in fact, he was in the very first wave at Normandy Beach on D-Day. He went on to be "Lifer" in the Army, and fought in Korea the entire length of that "Police Action". He retired before being sent to Viet Nam in the mid sixty's- twenty-five years was enough.

I am immeasurably proud of the man that raised me.

My Mother was German and told us the stories of starvation, bombing, and death during the war. They both loved Germany, and we were raised as stand up tall, be proud Americans.

When we grew, all boys joined the service, as it was our honor bound duty, and we were proud to serve. I did not complete my term due to a major injury that left me hospitalized for six months. I knew the risks, I signed the papers, I volunteered- no tears for me.

In our upbringing, my parents taught to us to despise Nazi Germany and all of its state required slavery. My Father is dead these long many years, and I am glad my Father is dead, so that he cannot see that tyranny he fought against has become so welcome in the country, he fought and bled for; being pushed by cowards who are undeserving of the blood he and so many others shed.

Those cowards in Washington, D. C. have tried this before, and failed. I think this time it may well pass. None of this is about our security, but the safety of the fat-asses in that swamp- Rome on the Potomac. Anytime they turn these practices inwards, it will only increase, and increase, and increase.

We Americans would do well to remember, Benjamin Franklin, one of our Founding Fathers, words: "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."

Damn you cowardly bastards! Damn you all to hell!

--WP

No comments: