08 November, 2006

Stalwarts versus NRA

I shared the comments below with David Codrea in an E-mail exchange yesterday after reading this post to his blog. He suggested that I post it, and after reflection and a good nights sleep, I have decided to do so:
I am a Life Member of the NRA, but do not actively support them any longer (have not for five years) and I know you really do not know me from Adam, but what I am about to relate is the flat out truth as I was told.

A few years ago, I attended the Gun Rights Forum Policy conference in Houston, Texas. The forum was held at the Hilton at the airport which was convenient for many people (never mind that the hotel was ALMOST properly posted AGAINST Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees- not ALL entrances were as IS required by Texas law), and the Honorable Dr. Ron Paul was a speaker at the event. I did have the privilege of hearing him speak and shaking his hand afterwards, and I also know for a fact that the good Dr. was spoken of highly by many in attendance. I was also told, by a man whose credentials are above reproach in my eyes, who related the conversation he had with one of the high muckety-mucks of the NRA at the time (my source was a BOD member then) who said he was told that the good Dr. was considered a joke on the Hill and lacking in respect by other members.

I was reminded of this conversation when I spoke to this man again this morning who further elaborated that the lack of support and outright working towards getting rid of the good Dr. is the same reason that Tanya Metaksa was forced out. She was too staunch a supporter, just as Dr. Ron Paul is, and the NRA "leadership" wants him gone.
The above is one of the reasons I do not actively support the NRA any longer, others are:

1. Refusal to work towards overturning the 1934 NFA.
2. Refusal to work towards overturning the 1968 CGA.
CURRENT AS OF 08/24/11 1 & 2.
3. Lack of real effort to overturn The Hughes Amendment.

These refusals alone are onerous enough, but together, represent an attitude that was prevalent for so long in the NRA, it took the 1977 Revolt to change things, but unfortunately, it has since been dismantled and the elite returned to control (the best example of which is Charlton Heston's unprecedented four years as President of the NRA).

Nevertheless, the NRA does some very good things and for this it does need to be honored, but the NRA's attitude in standing firm for what it so long touted itself to be, is another, and why I do not actively support them any longer.

Oh, and as for the good Doctor? Go here and see...

WP

No comments: